F. Scott Fitzgerald uses many colors in his book, The Great Gatsby. I believe that he uses them to show emotion and other hidden meanings. For example, on page 24, the color yellow is used to represent sunshine and even a glimmer of hope for a dark place. "The only building in sight was a small block of yellow bricks sitting on the edge of waste..." Yellow can mean sunlight, joy, happiness, optimism, idealism, wealth, summer, and hope. I believe that is this quote, it represents many of those things.
The color red is used to express passion, strength, fire, heat, and power. The quote, "...sticky bob of red hair...," is in reference to Mrs. Wilson's sister's hair. Catherine seems to be much like her sister, as shown on page 30, who is full of lust and passion.
Then there are moments of color confusion. Page 92 mentions many colors. "Shirts with stripes and plaids in coral and apple green and lavender and faint orange, with monograms of Indian blue." I feel that this could show many different things. It could be saying that Gatsby behaves in many different manors. He is happy, rich, and strong, or it could be saying that he is depressed and dangerous. On the other hand, it could simply be saying that he is trying to find himself, or in a completely different direction, he is trying to hide himself and his true personality from the world by using different colors to "confuse" on lookers.
Oooo...interesting. Gatsby is definitely mysterious. I didn't even think about that. Nice!
ReplyDelete