Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gatsby's American Dream

Gatsby's American Dream was to marry Daisy and to live in a big house and have a nice family with some money in his pocket. He was born into poverty and ended up in the military. Even after fighting in a war, he didn't have a single dime to his name. He was penniless and still tried his hardest to find Daisy. I believe that Tom corrupted his dream as a result of the war that he fought in. Since Gatsby had to go off to war, he left Daisy open to predators. This led to her meeting Tom and getting married. Even after her marriage to Tom, Gatsby never let her go. He continued to look for her and follow her where ever she went. Once he finally got her alone, he started to use his charm on her and persuade her that she still loved him. I don't think that Gatsby achieved his American Dream. He had to do so much work to get it, and in the end, Daisy still doesn't leave Tom.

1 comment:

  1. "he left Daisy open to predators." <--- Haha, I like this.

    Also, I totally agree. Even though Gatsby became rich (which is the American Dream for a lot of other people)he wasn't as interested in that as he was being with Daisy.

    ReplyDelete